Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.

I am located in, SC and am the HR manager. yesterday a

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I am located in Anderson, SC and am the HR manager.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: yesterday a supervisor called a meeting with his staff and called it a Lunch n Learn. When an employee realized that they charged her 1/2 hr. lunchtime she complained stating that she would have chosen to have her lunch elsewhere and not in a meeting. we are in SC
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will.. full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A bona fide meal period of thirty minutes or more which occurs during the scheduled workday is not hours worked if the employee is completely relieved from duty for the purpose of eating a meal. (By flexible arrangement, an employee may be permitted to schedule a lunch period as short as 30 minutes.)

As such, this "Lunch n Learn" may be a violation of employment law. The supervisor may wish to allow the employees to be eat their lunch on their own time, since a mandated meeting during lunch constitutes work, arguably.

I am sure that the supervisor has the best intentions, but perhaps it was not the best idea.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.