Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I was fired from my job for taking client leads and giving

Customer Question

I was fired from my job for taking client leads and giving them to my husband who had just opened his own business (Landscaping)
My boss's "representative" (who I believe is a business consultant or financial consultant he hired, not a lawyer) has called me a few times saying if i DON'T call him back by end of Thursday to set an appointment for my husband and I to him in his office to discuss, they will pursue going to the D.A. and filing criminal charges against me and WILL NOT consider any other alternatives after that point.
I used your site a couple days ago about this and was told that what I did is not "criminal" so they are bluffing.
My questions is: Is it in my best interest to call him and make appointment? do i have to? Or can I ignore him cuz I know he is bluffing? what should i do?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

I don't know that they are bluffing. They may not understand the distinction between criminal and civil actions. So, they may very well contact the DA. Technically speaking, this is a criminal violation but it is so minor that most prosecutors (I am a prosecutor) wouldn't bother with it, and would recommend taking civil action instead.

So, ultimately the employer may end up filing a lawsuit (based on the direction of the DA) instead of filing criminal charges. You'd still end up having to explain yourself to a judge and could face financial penalties.

Because of that, it might be in your best interest to at least discuss the matter with them or hear what they have to say on the issue. I wouldn't sign anything, but listening to them can't hurt you.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 22 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.