Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

A employee of walmart corporation call me a negative racial

Customer Question

a employee of walmart corporation call me a negative racial statement I immediately reported the incident to the store manager in which another person heard the statement and back me up and together we told the assistant manager...can I sue walmart corp. for deformation and slander?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You can't sue Walmart for that, because Walmart didn't make the statement. For Walmart to be liable, they'd have to have put it in a commercial or something clearly indicating it or adopting it as their own statement.

You can certainly sue the individual for making the statement.

What you can do though, if Walmart does not resolve the issue with this employee to your satisfaction, is file a complaint with the EEOC in your state, alleging that Walmart did not take seriously a complaint of racial discrimination in the workplace. From that complaint a lawsuit could form.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.