Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

The company I work for uses a contracted company for their

Customer Question

The company I work for uses a contracted company for their food services for employees to eat at work. The use a kiosk system to pay for items. I made a purchase at the kiosk this morning and presented items and waived my payment card but it didn't work and I didn't know that. They are investigating the camera footage and checking with a witness. If the investigation doesn't come out in my favor, I will be terminated. Do I have rights to see camera tape? I might have made an error at the kiosk, but I did not intentionally steal a burrito. Do I have any recourse at all?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 22 days ago.

Yes, if they plan terminate you you do have a right to see the video footage.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Do I have any recourse if they fire me?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No phone call. Answer my question
Customer: replied 22 days ago.

If there is evidence that you did take the food without paying. I would offer to pay for it and see if that appeases them but unless you have an employment contract then most jobs are at will meaning they can fire you with or without cause. In this case, they would cite for cause and you would not qualify for unemployment benefits. That is where you could challenge it and say it was a misunderstanding and see the video.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 21 days ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.