Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.

Can an employer not pay you for a sick call in day even when

Customer Question

can an employer not pay you for a sick call in day even when you have a day of sick time available to use
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illnios
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: union full time and a state of il worker
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

The employer may not violate the written union contract or employee policy regarding vested PTO. So, if you were eligible, followed the procedure and the employer refuses to honor the obligation, then you have a grievance which you should file with the union.

Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

In other words, you are entitled to demand the benefits of your employment, including PTO, sick days, etc.

Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

By the way, if you are being treated differently than other employees with regard to paid sick time, and you believe it is due to race, religion, ethnicity, or your membership in some other protected class, you can file a discrimination complaint with the EEOC, as well.