CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I worked for a non-profit organization. I gave a 2 week

Customer Question

I worked for a non-profit organization. I gave a 2 week resignation letter to my boss, she accepted it, then over the week-end thought about it, and on Monday morning she told me that she changed her mind, and will not accept my 2 week resignation. She asked that I just leave now. My question is, is she supposed to pay me for the 2 weeks since she initially accepted it? Also, we get paid once a month. What is the time frame that I am to receive my final paycheck?Ellen
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortuantely CO is a "right to work" state - meaning your employer can terminate you at any time (including the Monday following the weekend you gave your 2 weeks notice).

You are entitled to your final paycheck following your dismissal immediately.

(One positive thing about your employer deciding to fire you instead of waiting out the 2 week notice is that now you are eligible for unemployment benefits - her decision to fire you instead of wait out your 2 week notice as agreed upon changed your dismissal from a "voluntary" to an "involuntary" dismissal and now you are entitled to these benefits).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a non-profit organization, I do not have any benefits!

Dear Customer,
I am not referring to your employment benefits, I am referring to unemployment benefits through the state.

See: https://myui.coworkforce.com/Welcome

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, we only get paid once a month as I had stated in my question. Am I still supposed to get paid immediately?

Yes - you are to be paid upon your termination.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Even with a non-profit organization?

Yes.