Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

Can an employer call your doctor and ask for a copy of a

Customer Question

Can an employer call your doctor and ask for a copy of a doctors note from your doctor and ask him about a date on a note that was sent to him from another person other than yourself.If he sees a discrepancy in the note.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 22 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is no specific law that prevents your employer from calling your doctor. However, it would be a violation of medical privacy laws for your doctor to tell your employer anything that wasn't specifically authorized by you. You'd have to sign a release and authorize your doctor to talk to your employer before they could engage in a conversation. The employer's behavior is inappropriate, but not illegal unless there's more to the story (like you submitted an FMLA request that he denied or he is refusing a reasonable accommodation under the ADA).

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 19 days ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?