Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I have lost my job today, 2 months ago I got a raise because

Customer Question

I have lost my job today, 2 months ago I got a raise because of the job I was doing, last week I got a performance plan that had a 6 month plan attached to it. Today I was fired.
No write ups or any kind of paper trail on me besides the raise I received,
Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

In employment law, unless you had a contract of employment that specifically stated that you could only be terminated for cause, your employment was "at will" and could legally be terminated at any time. At will employment can be terminated without warnings, write ups or any evidence to support the basis, because they don't legally need a basis.

The only way that you'd then have any sort of claim is if you had some evidence that the actual reason for the termination was your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use. Then you'd file a complaint with the EEOC (or Department of Labor for FMLA use).

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 24 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.