Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

My husband was terminated after a department of labor audit.

Customer Question

My husband was terminated after a department of labor audit. He is the HR manager. We have heard that termination due to the results of a DOL audit is against the law. What rights does my husband have as a terminated employee?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I think you may have misunderstood what you heard. It would be illegal to retaliate against your husband for reporting something to the DOL that resulted in an audit. However, it's the REPORT that triggered the audit which is legally protected. It's not as though an employee cannot be terminated DUE to an audit that was reported by someone else or that was prompted by the DOL's own investigation.

If your husband was in charge of HR, it sounds like his employer is blaming him for mistakes that might have been uncovered in the course of the audit. That, unfortunately, does not violate any law.

Your husband should be eligible for unemployment benefits, but that would typically be the extent of his recourse under the circumstances you describe. I am very sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Were you able to view my answer?

It looks like there might be a technical problem that is preventing us from communicating. Can you please let me know if you are able to view my responses to you so that I can forward this question to technical support if necessary?

Best,

Patrick