LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30 years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.

Do people usually negotiate separation agreement,

Customer Question

Do people usually negotiate separation agreement, specifically severance amounts?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 25 days ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades, and I handle employment law issues.

In terms of severance, be aware that the state of CA has no mandatory severance pay law, and an employer may let an employee go without any pay or benefits other than that which has been earned up to the point of termination. Most employers in CA do not pay severance benefits. On the other hand, if the company has a policy of paying severance pay to employees in your situation, then the employer must treat all employees equally in terms of the amount and nature of the severance pay based on their position in the company at the time of the lay-off.

Your best leverage for a complete and fair severance package, if you cannot convince the company to keep you on, would be for you to do some digging, asking questions quietly, and determine the history of severance in the company. Perhaps it is even laid out in the employee handbook, and if so, you know the starting point for your negotiations.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 25 days ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 25 days ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,