Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I am a consulting engineer with a client who is more than

Customer Question

I am a consulting engineer with a client who is more than five months in arrears in paying his contractually agreed on monthly retainer charges. He claims his company doesn't have the money to pay his total arrears, yet he is promoting his product worldwide (at a high expense) and maintains he will pay "whenever he can." His total owed is in excess of $10K. What are my options?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 22 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

As a contractor your sole legal remedy for breach of contract is to sue in civil court. Typically, the best course of action is to first retain an attorney to send a demand letter threatening to file suit if the balance is not pay or an acceptable payment plan is not arranged by a specified date. A demand letter very often scares the recipient into action out of fear of being sued. if that doesn't work, all you can do is retain an attorney and sue in civil court. You should be able to find an attorney willing to represent you in court on a contingency fee basis, meaning there is no up front fee, just a percentage of your recovery (1/3 generally) paid to the attorney. Demand letters can usually be drafted for a flat fee of around $300-500. See here to find a lawyer in your area who can help.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.