Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I filed an eeoc complaint agaist my employer last year and i

Customer Question

I filed an eeoc complaint agaist my employer last year and i also left the because of profound harrassment. can other employers view eeoc records and can my old employer bad mouth me with other employers?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: georgia
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: union, fulltime and georgia is an at will state i think
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. No, unless there is a lawsuit filed, a prospective employer would not have access to EEOC complaint filings. Lawsuits though are public records, so anyone has access to them. As for what your former employer can say. They can technically mention anything that is truthful that relates to your employment. That said, most employers will not give much information at all for fear of being sued for defamation of character. They will often just confirm employment and perhaps your position and dates of employment. If they were to make a false statement of fact about you then, as touched on, you could file a defamation of character suit against them.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 26th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.