Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Well I don't know if you can help me or not. I have PTSD, I

Customer Question

Well I don't know if you can help me or not. I have PTSD, I am an Iraqi War Veteran, served in US Army for 20 years. I have had possibly 2-3 disagreements at work with coworkers after the last one I was terminated. None have been physical. Yelling at each other has been what has happened in 2 of the incidents
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes Washington state
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time. Don't know about "at will " or not
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to say that legally any type of workplace violence, which includes arguing, is grounds for termination. Even a disability and accommodation under the Americans With Disabilities Act does not excuse workplace arguing or violence. Under at will employment, which is employment without a written contract to the contrary, the employer has a right to terminate you with or without good cause, so now your only recourse is unemployment and hope the employer does not object to your unemployment claiming that you were terminated for cause. If they object to your unemployment claim, then you have to appeal and prove you did not engage in any conduct that was significant enough to justify termination.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Arguing is considered violence?
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I am afraid that arguing or any conflict in the workplace is considered workplace violence.