P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert

I am a 71 year old woman and Fiscal Manager for the PA

Customer Question

I am a 71 year old woman and Fiscal Manager for the PA Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
I'm salaried and my normal work week is 37.5 hours. On Tuesday I worked from 8:15 am until 10:15 pm to assure that 4 reports that were due were completed and sent to our funder.I wanted to leave at noon today since I have worked so many extra hours this week, but my supervisor refused stating: "given the backlog on the programs I will not approve this request." This is in-house work since all deadlines were met.Is it her right to deny my request?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends on your employment agreement...that is, you have an employment agreement that covers you and your employers obligations. What is the agreement regarding this issue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no idea

You do not know the terms of employment that you agreed to?

This was not discussed during the application process (what your working hours would be, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've been here for 36.5 years so no, I don't recall but will check with our HR person right now.

If you are salary, your employer is required to honor the terms of your employment. No more, no less. You will want to check with HR to find out if the manager is in violation of the terms

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.