Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.

I am looking to find out what I can do to stop a used car

Customer Question

I am looking to find out what I can do to stop a used car dealership in Massachusetts from running credit checks on myself . I am currently on disability benefits . I have been for three years now , I was working on improving my credit rating . I never went to this dealership either in person or online . I am not , and have not been in the market to purchase a vehicle . But they continue to run checks on my credit standing I have been receiving letters from Financial groups stating as such . I have called them each time I received the letters , and they do nothing about it .
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: this is not about employment law
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was working on my credit status so I could eventually purchase a home , now with all of these credit checks being it has given a hit to my credit score
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 29 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. You can select to OPT OUT of credit promotions. Once this happens, then your credit cannot be shared with promotional companies and other parties. See HERE and simply scroll down to the blue "opt out" button at the bottom.

Once this happens, little by little, the promotional mail will cease, and the soft pulls of credit (which is what it sounds like you are getting) will also stop.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.