Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

Is there a fee for this initial consultation? Well, if I

Customer Question

Is there a fee for this initial consultation?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Employment Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Well, if I don't have a case, then I don't want to pay anything. So I'll let you decide. Here it is:
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: In June I answered a craigslist post looking for construction workers in my area to work on a federal project, which paid prevailing wages. The project manager hired me over the phone, and said I would have to watch training videos on safety and anti-terrorism stuff, and pass the tests required by the government. He said I would be paid the same wage for watching the vids and taking the tests. I spent about 12 hours doing so, which would have paid over $400. I have proof of completion in the form of certificates, and I believe the government websites also kept track of my hours. But no pay came. I examined my paychecks carefully, and while I was paid the correct regular wage, nothing came for the training. I thought maybe it would come at the end of the job, but...
The job lasted only a month. It was supposed to last 4 or 5. It turns out that someone in the company was over-billing the government, and all I know is that the superintendent started talking about lay-offs, and everything suddenly came to a halt. Most of us workers were suddenly out of a job. Later I found out the Super had been fired for lying to the company (and us and the government), the project manager who hired me suddenly "quit", and eventually a new super was replaced. The new super told me that the job was supposed to have been short term, requiring only one or two workers, and they kept one guy on the site.
Update: The old super also did things like watch porn in the job trailer, and even took us on booze-buying runs for his after-work use on company time. He was a scary guy and we just did what we were told. He constantly berated me and another worker, called us "office bitches" all the time, and made quite a sport of us even in front of other people. I doubt I can sue the company for pain and suffering, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let them get away with not paying me what was promised.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time? When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Full time, non-union, in washington state, and the company is also based in wa
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't think of anything else now at the moment
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Here are the WA laws that apply to you case.

The first option is to file a wage complaint here.

The second option is to hire an employment law attorney to file a breach of contract claim for unpaid wages. Since the allows the lawyer to recover his legal fees from the employer, you may be able to find a lawyer that will do this on a contingent fee basis.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.