Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

When I got a divorce my ex spouse received part of my

Customer Question

When I got a divorce my ex spouse received part of my pension from the local pipe-fitter I worked out of. She has recently passed away and my question is-does her part of the pension she was receiving now come back to me on my monthly check?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Please tell me - what kind of pension is this? A 401k, or, IRA, or, something else?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I joined the AFL CIO there was no pension plan in place. One was created soon after. Which meant part of my check went into this plan. So when I retired, I started receiving the monies I had invested throughout the time of employment.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Thank you.

If the qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) has not been filed, then, her share of the money reverts back to you, unless her estate scrambles and quickly submits a nunc pro tunc QDRO after her passing, in which case the money is paid out to her estate.

If the QDRO has been filed, then, her share of the money is sent to the designated beneficiary she designated.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Found Qdro and what is marked is Lifetime of Participant's QDRO Spouse. What does that mean.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

That is something a bit different. This goes to Minimum Required Distributions and when they should begin, and discusses the formula as to how to calculate them.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.