legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I am sure you are tired of bee sting questions by now, but

Customer Question

I am sure you are tired of bee sting questions by now, but here is one more wrinkle. The employee brought a coke in from lunch sat it on his work bench, and took a swig. A bee had crawled into the cup and stung him in the mouth. In my opinion it was drunk solely for personal consumption, but it wasn't during lunch. Do I have to record that?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Per OSHA, if no medical treatment was provided, there is no need to report an injury; here is a helpful chart:

If medical treatment was provided, it would be necessary to report if the accident/incident occurred on employer property - please see:

QUESTION An employee arrives for work. As she is walking across the parking lot prior to the start of her shift, she is bitten by a wasp/bee and has an allergic reaction. She is taken to the doctor where she is given an injection and a prescription. Is this case recordable? ANSWER Yes, this is a recordable case. The parking lot is considered part of the establishment and thus the work environment. Punching in/out on a time clock does not determine work relatedness. The bee sting is considered a work related injury and the employee was administered a prescription, which is medical treatment.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!