Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I am employed with at a Fortune 500 organization, and I am a

Customer Question

I am employed with at a Fortune 500 organization, and I am a Business Consultant based in the Northeast. Here is my situation:
So I moved here from Jamaica in 2008, and I had 5 people living in my household. My grandmother, mother, father, brother, and sister. A few years later, I went off to college (2011) to study Finance and Economics at a large state school. I entered college at 16 years old, extremely young as a result of academic excellence at a young age (skipped 4th grade and 9th grade).
As immigrants, you rarely move to the US and land directly on your feet, so we were only able to find a home in an area which was not the safest. I went to a public high school where I excelled and got into a good school. During college, right before I started at 16, my older brother was killed by some thugs that have since been arrested. I did poorly in school that year, but I tried to join as many clubs and student organizations as I could, in order to get my mind off of things. Second year of college, my grandmother who raised me passed away due to breast cancer. This was extremely hard on me, because I believe that she the person whom I was closest with, my grades suffered as a result. Junior year, I had two jobs, I was head of the school growth and engagement efforts for a billionaire and his app. I obtained this connection through a classmate. At the beginning of senior year, my father passed away at the beginning of the interview process - I told him interested I was in interviewing and potentially working for company X. He was really excited for me and said to me on his hospital bed, Go work for X and take care of the family - the day before he passed away.
A two months later, while I was submitting my application, my mom called to reveal that she had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I did not have the GPA required for my company, but I believe that I am intelligent enough to perform all the duties required, and that my GPA is not an accurate representation of my academic capability, due to the succession of tragic circumstances I had to face during my time at University.
On my resume, I inflated my GPA, but everything else was accurate. My internships, sports involvement, community involvement, volunteering. Then I realized that I had to submit a transcript and here is where I messed up. The transcript request at interview was for an unofficial copy, which was via Microsoft word, and I went in and changed a few grades. I didn't think this was a big deal at the moment, but now the company is asking for an official copy of my transcript, and I am afraid that I will be fired, with a mom with cancer and a 9 year old sister to support.
Please tell me what I can do, what I should do, or what are my options? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but what you did actually could be considered a criminal offense for altering a transcript for purposes of financial gain (getting a job). If this ever comes out to the employer it is actually good cause for termination of employment. Good cause termination from employment is basis to deny you the right to collect unemployment benefits. Legally, you are in a bad position if the employer ever finds this out, even though it was an "unofficial" version of the transcript.
Unfortunately, the issue is that they are now asking for an official transcript, which they cannot get without your consent or you providing it. So sadly, you have to put them off long enough to find a new job, because if you stay at this employer you will be discovered and terminated for good cause. If you quit your employment or leave for new employment, because they have no right to access your official transcript, you would not be discovered for altering it, but have to go to work elsewhere.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you are suggesting that I resign instead of sending in my official transcript anyways?

Thank you for your reply

Unfortunately, to avoid being terminated for good cause you need to consider that. If you are discovered and are terminated then that could impair your future employment anywhere else.