LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I have a friend of mine who was convicted of Felony DUI in

Customer Question

I have a friend of mine who was convicted of Felony DUI in California. He is employed with the Internal Revenue Service and I am trying to understand if this will constitute in him being terminated or if there is a way for him to keep his job.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. Did this just happen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he just went through trial last week and sentenced yesterday. His employer is not aware of it, and he will be serving time as well.He has been with the service for over 8 years without even a day out sick, his employer right now thinks hes out for medical reasons

Thank you. Yes, it is very possible that a felony conviction for a DUI, could result in his termination. Of course, they would need to first find out about it, so he needs to look at his employee handbook and see if he has an obligation to disclose this. If he does not, then the burden would be on the IRS to find out about this and take action. However, a felony conviction is not something that they look likely at. Of course, each situation is decided on a case by case basis, so if this does become an issue/problem, he can try and see if they would work with him, to get help and treatment, to keep his job but the felony could result from his employment from a government position.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!