Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

How specific can I be in my request to modify a non compete

Customer Question

How specific can I be in my request to modify a non compete agreement as an employee?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When negotiating a contract, you're allowed to be as specific as you want. If you think you should only be limited to work for specific other employers, you can say so. Just keep in mind that the employer has a right to accept or reject your suggested changes. If they disagree with your suggestions, they can make new suggestions or they can walk away from the deal. They can also say, "This is the deal, take it or leave it," in which case you're free to walk away.

What that means is, the only limits are based on what the parties will and will not agree to or how they react to proposed changes. The law doesn't limit what you can contract for, as long as it's reasonable.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?