Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I signed a contract with my employer not full well knowing

Customer Question

I signed a contract with my employer not full well knowing what it said but found out later that It states that if I leave the practice for any reason fired with or without cause or find a new position at a different medical office anywhere east of Seattle I have to pay Dr. Michalak 50% of my gross wages for 2 years. (###) ###-####Patty Bryant
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Issaquah WA
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Fulltime salaried
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I was also forced to sign it again this year for a new 3 yr term. A past co worker took a new job 5 miles away, took him to court, he lost but she still had to pay the court costs and then he changed the contract to make it full proof that he wouldn't lose again
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, when parties sign written contracts, the court must impute knowledge of the contents and agreement with the terms to the party who signs. This is why everyone says do not sign anything without reading it.
The whole purpose of using written contracts is to bind people to agreements and if they were easily ignored they would be worthless.
If the contract says only "anywhere east of Seattle" and gives no reasonable distance, then that could be challenged based on the reasonableness standards that apply to ALL non-compete agreement. to fight the reasonableness standard on geographic scope you have to show that he would not and does not get patients from the distance you are seeking to work in. 5 Miles away is close and reasonable to assume competition, but when you get to 25-50 miles away that is pushing it because most will not travel that distance to see a doctor. He would then have to prove that he would get patients from that far away to make "anywhere east of Seattle" a viable and reasonable clause.