RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I was terminated on August 24th from my job of 16.5 years.

Customer Question

I was terminated on August 24th from my job of 16.5 years. The reason my Supervisor said I disrespected her by hanging up the phone on her when I had patients waiting to see me. She called me to her office to present me with a write up I was upset and left for the day called mthe next day set up appointment to be seen and was preseted with termination papers. This was my second write up the first being 10 years prior
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington State
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your job.

Washington State, like most every state, is an "at will" employment state. That means that unless an employee has an employment contract or a union agreement, which may give them more rights, an employer may terminate an employee at any time, for any reason, with or without cause. Therefore, even though you had a nearly spotless employment record, and this incident sounds very minor, it makes no difference -legally, the employer is within their rights to terminate you.

The law only makes it unlawful for an employer to terminate you for an illegal reason, such as discrimination based on your race, religion, age, sex, disability or national origin or a violation of public policy (such as terminating you for serving jury duty). It doesn't sound like from these facts that this was the case.

I realize this isn't what you want to hear, and I'm sorry to news couldn't be more positive. However, it would be unfair to you to provide you less than the truth.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. 5 star service is my goal, so if I have provided less than that, please tell me how I may help!

Was there anything further I could answer for you about this matter or something I could clarify? If I have provided you less than 5 star service I would like to be able to continue assisting you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 30 days ago.

Was there additional information you needed or can I clarify something about my answer? If so, please let me know, as I'm happy to continue assisting you! If there is nothing further, I would kindly ask that you leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so that I am credited for my time and assistance. You can always reply to this message after leaving a positive rating at no additional charge.