Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

This is a complex issue. I resigned from a position at a

Customer Question

This is a complex issue. I resigned from a position at a Univ in England due to repeated health and safety violations and fraud. The case will be heard in court later this year. I recently interviewed at a University in Mississippi which appeared to have gone well, according to feedback during and following. However, despite many requests about the status of the job (it still remains open), very little feedback was provided. I am concerned that there was communication between the Universities and the Univ in Mississippi got cold feet. From a legal point of view, I want to know if communication took place between the Universities. If so I would like to explore the legality of such communication.
If indeed unfair interview practices took place I would of course want to elevate my current case in the UK, but also consider legal action toward the University in the US.
Thanks
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In the US, employment is at will, meaning the employer university has the right to hire anyone they choose or not hire for no reason at all or for any reason not based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. It is not unlawful in the US for a former employer to communicate with a new prospective employer regarding the reason for your departure. The previous employer would not be liable for doing so unless they make known false statements about you to the new employer.
The Univ. of MS does not owe anyone any explanation for hiring or not hiring an applicant under US law, so if they refuse to tell you anything, there is nothing you can do legally to force them to do so.