Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

The HR person at the company where I work falsely slandered

Customer Question

The HR person at the company where I work falsely slandered me to a third party ( a customer for no apparent reason) This customer was complimenting me on what a good job I done for him and the HR person said well you know she just got out of prison! I have no idea why she would say something like that , I have never been to prison and it was really embarrassing! This was our HR person who said this which makes it more mind blowing! Do I have a defamation case against her? This is a very large company so I am going to complain at the corporate level, but legally can she say such lies about me to a customer and not be held responsible?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is something that is called "defamation per se" as she made a known false statement about you to a third party that so damages your reputation (accusing you of being a criminal) that you do not even need to prove actual monetary damages. So, you have a right to actually sue her personally as well as your company since she was acting in the course and scope of her employment handling the customer and you can seek money damages for the harm she caused to your reputation in the community. Legally, NO she cannot make such known false statements about anyone to a third party and yes, she is personally liable for making those known false statements, so you can sue her and the employer as well (under the theory of "respondeat superior") since she was acting in her capacity of HR representative.