Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I am a 59 year old single female with diabetes and severe

Customer Question

I am a 59 year old single female with diabetes and severe erosive osteoarthritis. I am a test engineer and work 40-50 hours a week, sometimes 10 hour days at the computer. My hands and fingers are deformed and painful but manage. Recently new manager told me my productivity was low. I contacted HR to discuss help with performing my job duties due to issue with hands. I didn't bring up what my manager had to say. Just saw the doctor and had x-rays done, hands are much worse than they were in 2010 when last done. She asked if I could go on disability. Work offers long term disability but I can't really afford it since wouldn't have benefits. I'm afraid any suggestions (not working such long hours, etc.) may be interpreted as i can't perform my job. I have a review in mid November and I'm not sure what to expect from this manager. What can I do to protect myself. This is a large, worldwide company.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you please tell me what HR said when you asked for help with performing your job duties? What specifically did you ask for in that manner? Does your doctor think you can work 40 hours a week as long as perhaps you have some sort of reduction in the use of your hands? How much of your work involves the use of your hands and is that what your boss was specifically referring to when they discussed low production?