Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

My son is in the US Army Reserves and works full-time for a

Customer Question

My son is in the US Army Reserves and works full-time for a local company. The company he works for is giving him alot of trouble because he has to take days to report to the US Army Reserves. Can he get fired for this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No, he cannot be fired for serving in the military. As long as he provides his employer with advance notice when he's going to be gone and the total amount of time he's gone is less than 5 years, his employer has to give him his job back when he's gone. He doesn't have to give notice if there's a military emergency that makes it impossible. He's protected by the Uniformed Services Employment And Reemployment Acts.

If your son's employer tried to fire him, he could file a complaint by calling 1-866-4-USA-DOL or downloading a form from http://www.dol.gov/vets/

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?