Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Could someone use a memorandum of understanding to change a

Customer Question

Could someone use a memorandum of understanding to change a already signed contract?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay.

No. The contract must be specifically amended using the process for amending the contract as stated in the actual contract.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay let me give you a little run down. My union president came in under a already ratified contract and used a MOU to changed the way the previous president dealt with seniority. He signed it with management who is assigned to give out seniority pictures yearly. This year it changed because of the signing of the MOU.

Thank you for the information.

MOU cannot be used to modify the contract. The contract must be amended with heading such as this: Amendment of Contract/Agreement Dated----