TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I recently resigned from At&t. Someone called and said I had

Customer Question

I recently resigned from At&t. Someone called and said I had bought beer at a local grocery store. Which I did. At&t went and got there video surveillance and matched it to my gps records. i was pulled into a meeting where they confronted me. I did not deny. is this invasion of privacy. Can I take either of them to court.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. However, I need more facts to determine whether your privacy was invaded. For example, where did the video come from? How were you tracked via GPS? Also, did this all occur during working hours?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
False light?? I was on my lunch break. Gps is on my company vehicle. I never put alcohol in the cab. The video was from the liquor/grocery store. Can grocery store just give up video of me doing nothing illegal that caused a suspincion in witch I just resigned do to feeling bullied
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I get that I screwed up but seems screwy that a grocery store can hand out video of me doing business and in return a suspincion
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Suspension Sorry
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. Thank you for clarifying.

I'm sorry to say that I do not have good news for you.

First, the employer absolutely has the right to track you via GPS if you're using a company car. It has the right to track wherever you take that car at any time (not just during working hours). Second, the grocery store owns the video, and has the right to release that video to anybody it chooses, including your employer or even the evening news. Accordingly, your privacy rights were not violated.

I am truly sorry that my answer is bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Also, despite the bad news, I would certainly appreciate it if you remember to provide a positive rating via the stars, as it is the only way that I'll get credit for answering your question(s). Thank you. :)

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.