Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I was diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel syndrome in 2012.

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel syndrome in 2012. After release surgery on both hands, I returned to work after 12 weeks. Within less than 1 year I has a reoccurrence. About a week after another release surgery on my right hand, I ended up with a major infection that left me with numbness tingling and partial loss of movement in left side (pinky and ring fingers) of my hand. After a year+ of therapy. My M.M.I was at 72%. This was not good enough for me to return to work. They could not "accommodate" my restrictions. Although there was a settlement, now I am employed at this company still but cannot go to my job due to accommodation issues. I have no other income. Can I apply and get unemployment?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Susan Scott replied 1 month ago.

I suggest that you apply immediately for Social Security Disability. You may go to your local office or call 1(###) ###-#### Whatever your age the inability to use your hands bilaterally on a regular and continuing basis SHOULD qualify you for SSDI. Since you are not actually going to work, the fact that you are employed should not be a bar to getting SSDI. Every day you wait you are losing money. Once you apply call a disability attorney. I have 20 years of practice in this area. I think you should try for unemployment too, although I am not sure what the rules for unemployment are in your area. SSDI takes several months usually so maybe you can get some unemployment to survive. I suggest, however, that you note that you are only available for part-time work that limits the use of your hands.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much! I will look into this immediately. I wasn't sure what my options were, or where to even begin. I appreciate your quick response,w advice, and the tips on where to get started.
Thank you once again
Sincerely, ***** *****