hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering if you are

Customer Question

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering if you are aware of any case law that says severance pay (explicitly set forth by law and contract, public employee) is covered by 34:11-4.3. My employer is refusing to pay and it's been two pay periods.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 1 month ago.

Good Morning,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. The termination laws in New Jersey don't specifically address severance pay but in most cases the employer will provide a written agreement that you will be asked to sign. Did you sign an agreement? (Usually this agreement specifies the severance amount and also releases the company from any liability)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My appointment resolution is clear and I have a a signed/certified resolution that terminated me without cause and clearly dictates the terms of the severance (4 months pay). It has been 3 weeks and two pay periods and the township is withholding my money and refusing to pay. They are claiming they want me to sign a release (which I won't do because the resolution already calls for providing me the four months)
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 1 month ago.

If you would like, I can review the document you have and let you know if I think it would be legally binding. It is a small service charge $10.00 but I will go through the entire document and answer any questions you have about it (including how to respond to it).

If you would not be interested in having me review the termination document you have, that is fine too. My best suggestion without reading the document and having more detail would be to file a claim with the New Jersey Department of Labor. Usually, these state departments work fairly quickly in resolving these types of disputes.

Thank you,