Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

If someone does something they are told to do on the job and

Customer Question

If someone does something they are told to do on the job and are released because they did what they were told and others who have done the same thing were not released, is this discrimination?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Not automatically, no. Differing treatment is only half the equation. There would also have to be an allegation that the differing treatment was based on your race, religion, gender, age (over 40) or disability. Just being treated differently, alone, is not sufficient to establish a claim.

If there can be allegation though of one of those being the underlying reason for the differing treatment, then an EEOC complaint should be filed to have the matter investigated and to preserve the right to sue.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.