Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I retired from government after 30 years & 11 months in

Customer Question

I retired from government after 30 years & 11 months in November 2014. Many people double dip (return after they start pulling a pension) and I wanted to return to do this. I interviewed for my old job soon after I vacated it. I thought the interview went well, and it looked like I was going to be re-hired. I was notified that I was not going to be re-hired, I went to EEOC claiming that as a person with Glaucoma that I felt I was discriminated against. The EEOC intake investigator submitted the case to my former Agency, the Agency responded that I did not tell them I had a disability and that no special assistance was asked for. This is not the case, they (the supervisors who did the interview did know of my Glaucoma) I told them in the interview process that if my Glaucoma was to get bad someday I would have to retire a second time anyway, I also told them that the price of the eye drops is going up so much that this is a reason I need to return to full time employment. In the response to EEOC which I have just now received several months later because EEOC put it in a file back in February 2016 and failed to tell me, it is now September 2016 and I finally was told it is available to read: anyway in the response the supervisors who conducted my interview in December 2014- Jan 2015, now deny that I ever indicated a disability. So EEOC says I have no evidence. The Supervisors say my statement of having a disability was discussed is "Patently false." Look, it wasn't discussed in detail, but It was brought up in the interview because I recall complaining about the price off my eye drops. My eyes are fine and my Glaucoma is under control and is nowhere near being a handicap-- but EEOC does say it is viewed as a disability, so I used this to try and get my old job back. I have 20/20 corrected vision, I just have to take these darn drops every night. I was thinking of trying to find an attorney to fight my old Agency that I worked for, the EEOC says I still have a "right to sue" but I have no evidence, because the supervisors are not admitting that my glaucoma was talked about. I figured a way to poke holes in there statement to EEOC, but I'm looking for an experienced employment attorney who would consider taking such a case on, if you think I have a case??? ***@******.***
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: It was Public Employees Union. Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm collecting my pension now and I work part time in the private sector, and I have debt, EEOC said something about the DOJ and finding an attorney that would take this on with out getting paid unless they win the case. Did you ever hear of this??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties. Unfortunately, you have a very high burden here to prove that your disability was discussed during the interview. For this reason, you would have a hard time finding an Attorney to take your case.

Also, every employment Attorney that I have come across does not handle employment cases on 100% contingency. In addition, for a case that is going to Court, a substantial retainer is required, usually between $10,000.00 and $15,000.00. However, there are some Attorneys that handle employment cases partly on contingency and partly on hourly basis. The best way to look for an employment Attorney is to just "Google" employment discrimination Attorneys. The Google page results would show the same Attorneys listed on various reputable websites such as, and

Goodluck with your case,