Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

A team leader where I worked at got into it with me over

Customer Question

A team leader where I worked at got into it with me over breaks and it came out that I was right and the boss agreed with me. Then the team leader cried to another team leader about the situation which wasn't a big one and got into it even though he had no right to scone the boss had already finished it. I later complain that, that was harassment to the boss and the boss didn't say anything until the who had done it was there. He sided with the team leader saying it wasn't harrasment (when it was) and ended it there. 3 hours later while me in the team leader were working he came up to me and pull out his phone while l was working fryer, and pull the definition out on his phone and said "Read that for me please. Ok have a nice day." After which I couldn't take working there anymore and quit. My question is, is this actual harrasment?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

It's commonly misunderstood, but most forms of "harassment" in the workplace aren't actually illegal. In general, harassment only violates the law if the harassment relates directly to a legally protected trait, such as race, religion or disability. In these cases, it becomes actionable on civil rights grounds. But in all other circumstances, no law requires employees to be nice to each other. There is no "civility code" in employment and it is not illegal to be rude, unprofessional or downright disrespectful.

Your post does not suggest that any unlawful harassment occurred. Rather, this would appear to be an internal personnel matter, and as such something for your employer to handle in whatever manner they see fit.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Are you still with me?