Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

Can I get unemployment if I get RIF'd and my company gives

Customer Question

can I get unemployment if I get RIF'd and my company gives me a severance package? If so, is the amount of unemployment reduced by the severance amount?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
a RIF would, as a general rule, qualify for unemployment benefits, assuming you are otherwise qualified to receive such benefits.
Under the Illinois Unemployment Insurance Act, severance payments are not considered wages by the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) and therefore these severance payments do not render the individual ineligible to receive unemployment insurance benefits
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me.
A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.