California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Labor Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to practice law in California
19551178

You work for Alpha Medical. You and your coworkers attended

Customer Question

You work for Alpha Medical. You and your coworkers attended a conference in Dallas. To minimize cost you drove to Dallas, a distance of 240 miles from Houston, in a company vehicle. The team left Houston at 10 AM and called at 4:00 PM to report a safe arrival. Four weeks later, the Office Manger receives a notification from the Texas Department of Public Safety stating that on the day in question the company vehicle was clocked at 80 mph in a 55 mph zone. The Office Manager is confused. You left at 10 AM and arrived at 4:00 PM; six hours to cover 240 miles seems reasonable without speeding. How do you explain the ticket in terms of average speed and Instantaneous speed? Are the two related? Is the notion of average speed even useful to understand the ticket?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  California Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

I will try and help. I am not sure this is a legal question, but here goes.

First, there is nothing to indicate that the 4:00 PM call is the exact arrival time. Secondly, there is nothing to suggest that an continuous 80 MPH is alleged. Further, it would seem unlikely that a van full of people would drive 6 hours non-stop with no refueling or lunch. Assuming 240 miles in six hours at a continuous speed, that's 40 MPH and that alone might get you a ticket on the highway.

I would figure out who was driving and send them the ticket.

I hope this helps.

DCG