Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I'm a crane operator in CA. Often I am not paid prevailing

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a crane operator in CA. Often I am not paid prevailing wage on jobs that are required to pay contractors prevailing wage. They argue we are a "service provider" and are not obligated to pay us. I cannot find anything about being a service provider being exempt from California law. They have been doing this on and off for 10 years.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no exemption for crane operators in prevailing wages. Here is a determination from CA Department of Labor regarding Crane operators and if you are not being paid prevailing wage you need to file a complaint with CA Department of Labor wage and hour division. See: https://www.dir.ca.gov/oprl/PWD/Determinations%5CSouthern%5CSC-023-63-2(B).pdf