John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I am receiving a pension from which I paid 100% of the money

Customer Question

I am receiving a pension from which I paid 100% of the money into, I work out of a union hall and my employers paid 0% into this pension. I took an early retirement but still work out of my union hall. I was recently laid off and meet all the criteria for unemployment benefits in Maryland. the way I understand sec. 8-1008 I am eligible to receive unemployment because I paid 100% of money into my pension. Am i eligible to collect unemployment in Maryland?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: all jobs out of this hiring hall are full time jobs, although they are all temporary jobs
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

You are correct. In Maryland you can retire, collect retirement benefits, continue working, and collect unemployment benefits when you lose continued employment for no fault of your own as long as you re not collecting a pension funded by a base period employer. If it is entirely self-funded, as yours is, then there is no deduction from benefits owed - i.e., you are owed the full benefit amount.