Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I was married and going through an annulment. My ex worked

Customer Question

I was married and going through an annulment. My ex worked for a hospital owned by the same company as the hospital I worked for (two different hospitals, two different cities) she went to not only her HR department but notified my HR department of what I would call my sexual preferences. My HR told at least two people in my hospital that I know of, my direct boss and the COO. is this a violation of my civil rights?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

Unless you experienced harassment on the basis of your sexual preference, what you describe probably does not amount to a civil rights violation. You could report this as a HIPAA violation if the information that was shared could be construed as constituting "medical information" (which I'm not sure would be the case. However, under HIPAA you cannot sue for money damages, you can only report the violation to the Dept. of Health & Human Services. They will investigate and may choose to fine your employer. Other than this, what happened was highly unfortunate but probably not anything that gives rise to any legal remedies.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....