Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

This is a 71.02 and 71.03(d) viol. I was plugged down by a

Customer Question

This is a 71.02 and 71.03(d) viol. I was plugged down by a male and female acting as if the female was injured. I stopped. They said they need a ride. Asked them if they have Uber app. They said they dont have a phone. So I helped them. They opened the door, and kept on asking me how much they need to pay, I said, no several times, lets just take your wife to the hospital. Four times, the guy asked me. Because we're in the middle of the road, I answered, "it's up to you". Then the police came and arrested me. They said, I dont have Uber sign but I do and it was it on the upper left front side of thr car and the back side of the car.and I even have my Lax registration certificate which was by the windshield inside the car. I used my own phone as a connection to the UBer site to pick up passengers. I was handcuffed was later on released. My car was impounded. Court date set. Problem was I dont have a car to go to work. I have a regular job. I worked so hard and this was my reward of being a hardworker. So frustrated and humiliated. Can you please enlighten me on this? I canceled my other passenger that were previously booked.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they flagged you down and you offered stopped offering a ride, then it could be a violation. If they were feigning injury to coerce you to take them to the hospital and what you said is true, then you can argue entrapment, which is enticing someone to commit an offense they would not have committed had it not been for the law enforcement officer or their agent convincing them to commit it. If you did have proper permits to pick up passengers then if your attorney presents those to the District Attorney (a DA will not speak directly to a defendant, only their attorney) then the DA can dismiss the case without you ever going to court and will issue an order to release your car from impound.
At this point, you have no choice but to get a local attorney to represent you, because you have a good defense base on your claims. Your attorney will have to file a motion to release your vehicle in the court and you need to pursue this in the court, because you would need the court order to get the car out of impound.