Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I am getting the run around from Citigroup about my pension

Customer Question

I am getting the run around from Citigroup about my pension which was supposed to start July 1st. If I was eligible to start collecting on July 1st, can I sue them to get all the money due me ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your pension was supposed to start July 1, you need to start by sending a letter to the plan administrator telling them they are in violation of your plan terms and as such in violation of ERISA (the Employee's Retirement Income Security Act) and if they do not begin the benefits as required, you will have to take legal action. If you prove they are withholding the payment in bad faith (without any cause for doing so) then you can ask the court for punitive damages possibly up to 3 times the money they owe you in missed payments, plus attorney's fees.