LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

After being let go from a start up company after just 3

Customer Question

After being let go from a start up company after just 3 months, I was offered a position in the same industry. However, I signed a non-compete agreement with the former company that basically states that I cannot accept a position in the same industry for 2 years and within 25 miles of the former company. With limited funds at this time, I thought it best to approach the former company/boss and see if I could be released from the agreement. I thought via mail/email and that something in writing was the best way to go. So I am looking for a template and guidance for this.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: nh
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The non-compete agreement, would be something that could have legal effect, if you voluntarily decided to leave the company and go work for another company or you did something that resulted in being fired, which was caused by your own fault. In a situation like this, if you were let go, as a result of issues/problems that the company was having, it should not restrict you from taking another job in the industry. It would be restricting your ability to earn a living and your livelihood and their decision to let you go, should not prevent you from earning a living. You can address this with them, advising of the same and see how they respond or decide to accept the position and see if/how they even respond.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.