Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I was terminated from work for argument/ fight which was

Customer Question

I was terminated from work for argument/ fight which was recorded. I am covered by a labor contract. I have gone through grievance to 3rd step. Company has offered 4 month severance . Should I accept or should I try and go to arbitration?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If there was a fight/argument, the employer has good cause for termination, so if this were to go to arbitration and they present it from the angle of workplace violence, the arbitrator is not likely to give you anything. IF the employer is giving you an offer of 4 months, you need to counter them with 6 months and you may find they will agree, but quite honestly for a fight/argument that is on tape, it is not likely you will get reinstated and an arbitrator will likely give you nothing so you could be out of the 4 months as well.