RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I am for my position, 23. When I was hired, my probation

Customer Question

I am young for my position, 23. When I was hired, my probation period is longer than what any other person at my agency has been and they also hired me at a reduced rate until my probation period is over, which they haven't done to anyone else.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

Unfortunately, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) only protects employees 40 and over. Under federal law it is unlawful for an employer to discriminate in all aspects of employment (including hiring, firing, promotions, etc) based on age, but only if the employee is 40 or older. Very, very few states have legal protection for employment discrimination for younger employees, and regrettably, Alabama does not.

Therefore, even if you were treated differently due to age by your employer, you would not have recourse under the law.

I'm sorry I cannot tell you otherwise, but it would be unfair to you and unethical of me, to tell you less than the truth.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!