Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

If a company gives you a phone that can track you, must I

Customer Question

If a company gives you a phone that can track you, must I wear it or can I leave it in the truck? Also can they make me leave it on even after my shift or work day ends or can I turn it off?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It is not illegal for employers to insist that you keep a phone that tracks you while you are on duty. If you make runs outside your truck as part of your job, the employer can request that the phone be taken with you.

However, the rules are different when one is off duty. While an employer cannot TRACK a person, an employer CAN demand that a phone be kept near the person in case of emergencies. (Doctors have this often, for example.) However, it would be unlawful for the employer to track the person while off duty using that phone.

Finally, if one signed a contract that specifically allows the employer to track you via phone and agree to carry the phone, then that contract DOES give the employer that right.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.