D Downs-Vollbracht
D Downs-Vollbracht,
Experience:  General Counsel at Cadre Consulting, LLC
96078630

I have a questions how do employment wrongful termination

Customer Question

I have a questions how do employment wrongful termination lawyers get compensated after winning a case for there client. Do they keep 50% of the settlement plus attorney fees, and court cost etc.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  D Downs-Vollbracht replied 2 months ago.
It all depends on the retainer and fee agreement you sign. It can be a flat fee agreement or a percentage based arrangement. That is for private attorneys and it also will include how court costs, depositions, subpoenas and expert witnesses will be paid for to pursue the claim. In some cases, the losing side pays all fees. If it is a termination covered by the attorney general's office or other government agency due to the nature of the claim, there is no charge to the client.
I hope this helps but if you need further information, please don't hesitate to ask. It doesn't cost extra and I want to make sure I have answered your question completely.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
because my husband just settled on a lawsuit. Were his attorney is keeping 50% of the settlement, and also deducting all these fees from, the depositions, attorney fees, etc. From my husbands 50%. It just doesn't seem right.
I'm trying to respond, having some technical issues please bear with me...
R viewed the fee agreement/ Engagement letter. If you don't have it, ask the lawyer for a copy for your records. It should have all costs as in percentage for fee, copies, mailing, depositions, court, etc., included and if it doesn't or isn't clear to you then contact the state bar association and ask for her for a fee clarification or dispute. I hope this helps and do not be afraid to ask the lawyer himself for clarification.