Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

Ok so I have a question so I have my Dogs tattooed on my

Customer Question

Ok so I have a question so I have my
Dogs tattooed on my forearms They are like a memorial to me I have all my dogs past and present names tattooed on my upper bicep. Its a memorial I do to help me grieve when one dies because dogs dont live as long as humans. So any way I applied at my local animal shelter for an animal officer position a dog catcher in other words. I knew they had a no visible tattoo policy and I was ok with wearing slaves to cover them up I mean they have an officer with a butterfly tattoo on her wrist for Pete's sake she covers hers up. I found out today that I didn't get the position not because I was not qualified no it was because of my tattoos there has got to be some laws that prevent them from doing that I mean there all dog related tattoos I mean I was willing to cover them up but it just feels like I am getting discriminating against because of my personal choice of having a memorial arm and how I grieve my dogs when they die.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry that you are being blocked from a position that you are qualified for. Clearly you are an animal person and would be a good fit.

Sadly, Texas law is much more employer friendly than it is employee friendly on matters such as this. Texas law has no statutes that address discrimination because of appearance or dress or body art. Neither does the federal government.

The classes of "Protected Persons" under the law are Age (over 40), race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, and the like. So if the reason that they chose not to hire you was based on your tattoos there is no basis to bring a complaint or a law suit.

Here is an article that discusses this in greater detail:

However, if you believe that you could make out a complaint based on one of the other classes you could do so with the Texas Workforce Commission. There is no charge for making the complaint:

I am so sorry that this is not what you wanted to hear. I wish I could have told you something different - but that would have been misleading and cause you to spend time, energy and resources chasing something that is not there. That would not be fair to you.

Here is a link to the Texas Law:

There is no federal law that addresses this either.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,