Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.

We have a corporation in CT. We're a small employer, just 4

Customer Question

Hi, we have a corporation in CT. We're a small employer, just 4 of us FT, including me and my husband (owners). Recently an employee complained of knee pain, and took intermittent days off for a 10 day period. (His job requires heavy lifting, but not every day.) He then came in on payday, and said he could not work and was not coming back, due to this problem. He told me he's had this knee problem for a long time, before he worked for us. He's worked for us about 10.5 months. He said he's supposed to have surgery, but he's afraid of surgery. He can't afford not to work with 3 children.
I typed a letter asking him to confirm all the above statements as true. He asked a lawyer about it and will not sign the letter. What do you think?
After resting for 9 days, not working, he came back and would like his job back. (he seems to be pain free.) He's a good worker; we've invested a lot of time in training him.He's now working his third day. My husband wants to keep him on. There will be instances of heavy lifting.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

From the facts mentioned, you have a good worker who I take it you want to have continue on. You can reasonably accomodate him and are intent on doing so. His refusal to confirm statements is regretable, but I would not suggest taking any adverse action lest it lead to a claim of discrimination, retaliation etc. So I would suggest focusing on how to use him going forward and if can reduce lifting duties, do so at least in short term to reduce risk. Kindly rate me 5 stars.

thanks in advance.