Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

I signed a 24 month non-compete with a start up Canadian

Customer Question

I signed a 24 month non-compete with a start up Canadian company under my legal name. At the time they had promised me a salary of $70K plus 4% commission. 9 months later they decided to cut my salary completely and increase my commission rate to 8%, I did not sign any documents, at this time I incorporated under a business name. Well, 4 months later and I'm barely making any money. Would I still be liable if I broke my non-compete to work for a competitor?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

There are several questions that I need to ask you here before I can give you an answer. Did you want to do a phone call option for $23.00 more added to your deposited amount? Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service;

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No phone call is necessary at this moment
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

If the salary and commission were in writing and they changed them mid-stream it appears to me that the company breached the contract and you then become excused from having to fulfill your end of the bargain unless somehow your new incorporated business is seen to have ratified the mid-stream change and seen to be a successor in interest to the personal contract you signed.

It is unclear whether the 8% contract was intended by the parties to be a new contract completely with a mutual agreement to terminate the old. If so, then you personally may not be held to the terms of the non-compete; but your newly incorporated company and its employees may be depending on the scope and terms of the non-compete in the 8% agreement.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.