Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am a VP of Operations running fashion company. I have been

Customer Question

I am a VP of Operations running fashion company. I have been working for this company for 11 years filling multiple roles on 1 salary. the owner of the company promised partnership to me for 5 years and never delivered. I have prove of this is happening. Company has no been making money for a few years now. The owner called shoe "The Profit". She persuaded me to participate in the show to save the business which I did. it turned out to be the worst experience of my life. During this filming Marcus Lemonis (The Profit guy) defamed my character, caused me immense mental and emotional distress. He teamed up with the owned of the company to turn her against me which was not difficult because she is a very weak person and always like to blame everybody else and not take any responsibility. Now she is acting in hostile manner. On top of it all I was diagnosed with brain tumor (benign) and was facing surgery which she was aware of and still did not express any compassion. Now this show is supposed to air at the end of September.... which will be detrimental to my career and my wellbeing. I understand that I probably have no rights against the show because we had to sign a contract pretty much giving away all your rights (even I did it under pressure from her) but what can I do in this satiation? Please let me know what are my rights under these circumstances. Thank you.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: "at will" full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think this is he bot***** *****ne at the moment. During the last filming the owner of the company threatened to fire me because apparently I'm the cause of HER toxic behavior. After the filming I asked her how could she do this? She replied that she did it because they told her too........
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You are in a terrible situation, but even though you signed away your rights for the show, if they are going to present known false information in the broadcast, then that would be defamation and grounds for you to sue them, since you did not give them permission to present false information to the public about you.
Other than suing the production company for the defamation, I am afraid that with regards ***** ***** employer, without any written contract to the contrary, you are at will meaning you really have no protection in your employment other than being protected from action against you based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. So, if she is not doing this to you for one of those reasons, legally all you can do is negotiate with the owner of the company.